Kohala Village Hub Burns(video)

Kohala Hub Barn was not damaged, but currently without power.

UPDATE from The Hub:

MESSAGE about HUB PUB FIRE LAST NIGHT

From Delphina & Bennett

Aloha Kohala Ohana,

Many of you have heard by now that there was a fire at the HUB last night. Of the many buildings on campus this was in the front building that housed the PUB, kitchen and program offices, reception and skywalker lounge.

Everyone is ok, no one was hurt. Inn guests were relocated and no staff was inside the restaurant after closing hours, all closing protocols had been completed to satisfaction.

The fire department showed up promptly soon after the “funny smell,” the flames took over too large to handle on the makai wall of the whole Lukes building. The fire department is still there and we will have more info as daylight comes and more time is spent with the fire experts.

The fire moved fast and the building has suffered extensive damage–the programs office, HUB reception and much of the dining areas, kitchen office and some of the kitchen are compromised.

We want to thank our amazing management team who responded to everything as smoothly as possible, and are still handling the emergency with grace.

We of course extend our aloha to the PUB staff who helped create an amazing community gathering place and I can not even describe the shock and grief for those of us who have worked here for almost 5 years creating such a vibrant space for Kohala locals and visitors.

There is sure to be a phoenix rising somehow through all of this. This is the news for now. Please feel free to share the message and we will keep you posted as events unfold.

Mahalo for all of your support,

Delphina & Bennett

nobody was hurt…..Aftermath Pictures of fire…..Videos below…..

photos by Len Winkler

Posted by Jonathan Brooke on Thursday, March 14, 2019

6:45am Aftermath Video:

Kohala Village Hub 6:45am 3/14/2019….Aftermath of fire….

Posted by Howzit Kohala on Thursday, March 14, 2019

 

According to fire officials, a 2,000 gallon propane tank was approximately 10 feet from the fire on one side.

The roof was partially collapsed, and all exterior walls and most interior walls were still intact.

The blaze caused about $1 million in damage.

The Hawaii Fire Department (HFD) along with the Hawaii Police Department (HPD) responded to a structure fire that occurred at the Kohala Village Inn and Hub located at 55-514 Hawi Road near Akoni Pule Highway in Hawi, North Kohala Wednesday evening (March 13th).

The initial call came in at 11:23 pm Wednesday evening and crews from the North Kohala, South Kohala, and Waimea Fire Stations along with Battalion 2 and volunteers from Kohala Ranch and Kanehoa responded to the scene. Upon the arrival of HFD crews, witnesses reported the restaurant of Kohala Village Hub and Inn fully engulfed in flames with multiple small explosions heard and HPD assisted with evacuating the occupants of the Inn. Once on scene, HFD crews began a combination (Defensive and Offensive) attack on the fire and also worked to prevent the fire from spreading to a nearby business with a large volume propane tank located in close proximity to the fire, where crews are at this time still working to mitigate that hazard.

At this time, HPD has closed Hawi Road in Hawi town due to HFD equipment and crews on Hawi Road. Akoni Pule Highway was also closed for a short portion of the night but has since reopened as of 2:05 am.

Hawaii Fire Department (HFD) along with Hawaii Police Department (HPD) is currently responding to a confirmed structure fire at the Kohala Village Inn and Hub building located on Hawi Road near the intersection with Akoni Pule Hwy in North Kohala.

According to initial dispatch based on replaying the recordings from our scanner, multiple small explosions were heard by residences in the area.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this:
Skip to toolbar